Art Opening: Jay Ripley

Join us Friday, Jan 2nd for the First Friday of 2015!
For an amazing art opening with Jay Ripley





From the artist:
I am a tattoo artist in the Harrisonburg area and have been working here for the past 3 years. I've been tattooing for a total of 6 years, painting for about 3 and have been drawing since I was very little. Drawing and painting have been major interest in my life and it's always been my outlet for expressing ideas of mine ranging from the slightly comical and subtle social commentaries to the fascinating interaction between technology and nature. I am a firm believer in the idea that every art piece is in a way a self portrait that reflects the intricacies of the mind of the artist. I find myself to be a very complicated, introverted mind and I think it is shown in the detail and at times ominous space in the artwork. One of the subjects I spend myself often pondering on is the interaction between the man made and nature. I believe without thinking we make a very clear separation, but as we dwell more and more on the subject we see ourselves just as one of the most recent advances of nature. Mathematics is example of the blur between these seemingly binary worlds. Many mathematical findings, equations and ratios would be present in the universe even without us existing to find them. Even when the original plan was not intending to do so, nearly all my pieces in some way emphasize the interaction between what we think is natural and the natural. Some pieces focus on the subject in a more serious way and others in a more comical way. I could ramble on this subject almost indefinitely but I will leave the rest up to your imagination so that you may make your own opinions and conclusions from the artwork. 
Thank you.